Monday, October 20, 2014

Custom Made Bunk Beds


If you follow me on Facebook you might remember me talking about the Bunk Beds I decided to make my girls when I was 33 weeks pregnant, a little crazy I know.  You should have seen the look on my husbands face when I told him my plan.  But I couldn't find anything I liked within my budget.  I was being slightly picky too, I didn't want white ones since my walls are light, I didn't want wood ones, cause well I just didn't.  I am not a huge fan of black as I hate to dust and most of the time boycott it.   As you can imagine the list goes on and one...so I had no option but to make them!!







I made these bunk beds from Ana White's Simple Bed plan.  If you have ever thought of making something from scratch her site is awesome.  She will tell you all the materials you need, the cuts, and the plans are easy to follow for the most part.  I tweaked the plans little bit to fit what I was looking for and then headed to Home Depot with my supply list.  My awesome husband came along to help lift, as I was 33 weeks pregnant and rather large.  My total cost for the beds, with wood, supplies, and the paint came in at just under $300.  Not to shabby if I do say so myself.  





I did use pine for these beds.  If you have worked with wood much you know pine can be rather rough and have knots.  This was a concern of mine, I had considered using poplar, but the increased cost just wasn't in the budget.  So I invested in some wood filler and LOTS of sand paper.
These beds went together fairly quickly and easily even with a huge belly getting in the way :)  

Once I got to this point I decided to paint them.  They were easier to move around and they fit in my spray booth much better.  



Even with lots of sanding and wood filling there are still many imperfections in pine, but I didn't mind.  I knew I was going to distress them and glaze them.  After all they are in my daughters room, I am sure they will continue to distress them for me.  

This is a custom paint color I mixed up, I am sorry, I don't have a name for it!  But I loved it so much I took it to the local hardware store and had them match it for me!!



I am currently in the process of making them quilts to match their bunk bed...
I am happy to say one of them is all pieced and ready to be quilted, I just need to get my butt in gear and get it done....maybe by Christmas?!?



TTFN

Brooke

Linking here
Miss Mustard Seed
French Country Cottage

3 comments:

  1. That's the prettiest bunk bed ever!! Love the pretty color you painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, and the color is gorgeous! I've been keeping my eye out on Craig's List for bunk beds for my girls' room, but now you've got me thinking I can build my own. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...